General discussions & events
Community page.
Owned and operated by nzpersonals

Big changes are coming in October
Announcement - started by nzpersonals, posted on 19-Sep-21 5:51PM
NZP will be moving to a new server this coming October, around mid month. A definite date has not been set yet, but we will make another annoucement closer to the day of migration.

Our site will be down for an hour or two while we move everything over. We'll post updates on our facebook page to keep everyone informed.

For a small number of people, this change will cause access problems for (no more than) a couple of days. This is due to how often your ISP updates their domain name records.

Showing comments 1 through 9 out of 9 comments

Comment #1 by chchswing in response to the main topic
Posted on 19-Sep-21 5:56PM
Thanks very much for the warning. Must commend you on how you communicate on here to all members if there are issues and the quickness in reacting to those issues to get them right.
Comment #2 by wmz in response to the main topic
Posted on 20-Sep-21 11:03AM
Please, please go through every detail ! The other Kiwi site went through big changes about 2 years ago and nearly everything they did was a disaster. Test, test and test some more !
Comment #3 by nzpersonals in response to chchswing ( view post )
Posted on 20-Sep-21 12:15PM
Thank you, it's nice to see some positive feedback now and then
Comment #4 by nzpersonals in response to wmz ( view post )
Posted on 20-Sep-21 12:34PM
I hear ya.
Yes, I remember when "they" upgraded their site in the mid 2000s, it was a disaster site for about two weeks, and I got word that they did it again recently and it was equally bad.

As for NZP...
This will be the sixth time we've moved to a new server in the years we've been running.

A little geeky info for ya: We're performing the migration over and over and over in our virtual machine (VM) environment, until I have a clear idea of how long the whole process will take.

Alas, there will always be little problems that have to be addressed. But they will be addressed in good time.

Note: the aesthetics of the site won't change, not for another few months yet. It's just the underlying systems that will change.
Comment #5 by Davidbutler in response to the main topic
Posted on 20-Sep-21 2:40PM
Woo hoo!
Thanks for letting us know. Nothing worse when things are down and you’re in the dark - we’ve become SO accustomed to our iPads and mobile phones!
Comment #6 by bdf2 in response to nzpersonals ( view post )
Posted on 20-Sep-21 3:29PM
Like any website you always test in a parallel non live environment because going live.

So glad I missed the other debacle even though I don't know who they are
Comment #7 by nik32768 in response to the main topic
Posted on 7-Oct-21 11:19PM
Change the time to live (TTL) on your DNS records to 300sec now. Then, when you make changes, other DNS servers will update after 3 sec. Added advantage us you can change back quickly if it doesn't go well.
Comment #8 by nik32768 in response to the main topic
Posted on 7-Oct-21 11:20PM
Typo above: ...after 300sec...
Comment #9 by nzpersonals in response to nik32768 ( view post )
Posted on 9-Oct-21 2:32PM
Our TTLs have always been quite low (just in case).

Most users will automatically detect the change but some ISPs ignore this setting so it could take as much as 48hrs.

Community Managers (5)

Group owner
Group manager
Group manager
Group manager
Group manager

New Zealand Personals - Now in its 25th year, and still going strong
About NZPersonals  *  Contact NZPersonals  *  Help

Copyright (C) 2000-2024, NZPersonals.com Ltd