General discussions & events
Community page.
Owned and operated by nzpersonals

Sideways photos
Discussion - started by fatfeisty, posted on 17-Apr-19 10:35AM
So, when I first joined NZP I messaged the owner, asking them to explain why my photo was always turning sideways when I uploaded it. This never happens on any other sites.
I was told that it was because MY photo was round the wrong way, it wasn't their system.

I'm no major programmer, but I'm also not stupid. And if every other person has sideways and even upside down photos, it can't just be me getting frustrated by this.

Do we have any IT gurus in the house?

Showing comments 1 through 26 out of 26 comments

Comment #1 by Londonzug in response to the main topic
Posted on 17-Apr-19 11:57AM
The system after 19years should have the ability to implement rotate like other sites
Comment #2 by fatfeisty in response to Londonzug ( view post )
Posted on 17-Apr-19 11:59AM
And you have the perfect example!
Comment #3 by Londonzug in response to fatfeisty ( view post )
Posted on 17-Apr-19 1:59PM
I know go figure. I uploaded two vertical pictures and I end up with 1 sideways and 1 straight up. Useless system.
Comment #4 by RustyKnight in response to the main topic
Posted on 17-Apr-19 5:54PM
When uploading photos, your images may sometimes appear to upload "sideways". The system on here does not rotate images during the upload process. The reason your photo would appear this way is because the photo was taken vertically and the image file itself is in this orientation.

Easiest solution is before uploading, rotate the image on your computer in a graphics program (something simple like Paint) and re-save it!
Comment #5 by Londonzug in response to RustyKnight ( view post )
Posted on 17-Apr-19 9:37PM
Yes I tried this, but when re-uploaded the picture it rotated every which way except the way I wanted so I gave up.
Comment #6 by fatfeisty in response to RustyKnight ( view post )
Posted on 17-Apr-19 10:01PM
But that's NOT the easiest solution. I mean, think about other sites you upload photos to, like Trade Me. It doesn't matter whether a photo has been taken vertically, horizontally, or upside down. It leaves it as is.
And yes, like Londonzug, I tried doing the rotate thing too, and it just rotated my photo every other way possible. It's BS.
Comment #7 by fatfeisty in response to the main topic
Posted on 17-Apr-19 10:08PM
Apparently, it doesn't take a genius to fix it either. I just found out how on Github. It's all to do with the EXIF Orientation. There are auto-rotate programs you can encode into the system.
comment #8 was clobbered
Comment #9 by Londonzug in response to fatfeisty ( view post )
Posted on 17-Apr-19 11:28PM
Nice sussing out. They need to implement it here.
Comment #10 by nzpersonals in response to the main topic
Posted on 18-Apr-19 3:22PM
Ok, fair call, we've just added a facility which should auto-orient cellphone pics whenever you upload them upside down or skewed left/right.

Obviously this won't affect the photos that have already been uploaded, you'll have to re-upload those in order to correct the orientation.

Also, if you've stripped or cleared that information from the photo before uploading, then it won't be re-oriented.
Posted on 18-Apr-19 3:28PM
Ooh that sounds good. Yay! Thanks.

I'm not sure how someone would strip a photo of its info. I guess that happens when people go and use things like Paint etc.?

I'm excited... *runs off to try*
Comment #12 by Londonzug in response to fatfeisty ( view post )
Posted on 18-Apr-19 5:33PM
Well I tried it but I couldn't get my ugly mug to rotate but it did eventually allow a third picture to be uploaded so that's something.
Posted on 18-Apr-19 7:03PM
If you're going to re-upload a pic that was previously uploaded, you should delete the old pic first.
Comment #14 by fatfeisty in response to Londonzug ( view post )
Posted on 18-Apr-19 7:54PM
Ooh! You're round the right way! Congratulations!
No more sore necks!
Posted on 18-Apr-19 8:47PM
I did that because you said I had to do that in an earlier post. Perhaps there's something wrong with that particular picture.
Posted on 18-Apr-19 11:55PM
Bravo!
Comment #17 by Midnight-rideher in response to the main topic
Posted on 19-Apr-19 6:57AM
I've yet to learn how to turn videos on my computer 90�...I have a clip of a friend plowing a field on his vintage tractor and it looks VERY steep
Posted on 19-Apr-19 8:57AM
Posted on 19-Apr-19 9:41AM
Check out this link
https://www.google.com/a mp/s/www.howtogeek.com/howto/1 475 /rotate-a-video- -degrees-with-vlc-or-windows- live-movie-maker/amp/
Posted on 19-Apr-19 10:12AM
Cheers matey
Comment #21 by Funlovers in response to the main topic
Posted on 20-Apr-19 11:12AM
Crop a little off the top or bottom.....that works
Comment #22 by fatfeisty in response to Funlovers ( view post )
Posted on 20-Apr-19 12:38PM
Yep, 'cos that will make upside-down face pics look even better.
Comment #23 by Funlovers in response to fatfeisty ( view post )
Posted on 20-Apr-19 2:57PM
The main thread said sideways....

Community Managers (5)

Group owner
Group manager
Group manager
Group manager
Group manager

New Zealand Personals - Now in its 25th year, and still going strong
About NZPersonals  *  Contact NZPersonals  *  Help

Copyright (C) 2000-2024, NZPersonals.com Ltd